Frequently Asked Questions

I've aimed to answer some of the more common questions here.  If you have a question that isn't answered below, please feel free to telephone or email me.

What is the difference between an NHS Speech and Language Therapist and an independent one?

A Speech and Language Therapist's professional qualification is awarded at the end of a degree course during which a set of core skills are learnt through academic study and clinical practice.    We are all required to be registered with the appropriate professional bodies.  We have to keep our skills up to date and have regular supervision.  


The benefit of working with an independent therapist is the flexibility we can offer around when and where we work with your child.  We are also able to offer assessment or therapy much more quickly with a very short waiting time.

Can my child work with you and my NHS therapist at the same time?

Yes!  This happens a lot.  It is important that you let both of us know so that we can avoid duplication.  With your permission, we can liaise with each other so that we can complement each other's service and work together to help your child.

I have already had an assessment with the NHS therapist - can you just deliver the therapy?

As long as the assessment and recommendations are up to date, I am very happy to help in this way.

I am a SENCO and would really like some support in school - can you help?

Yes! Schools are increasingly looking into commissioning their own Speech and Language Therapy support.  This can work successfully alongside and in addition to the NHS service that you receive.  Please have a look at my 'Schools' page for more information.

How can I be sure I am getting a good service?

Speech and Language Therapists follow strict professional guidelines.  I am required by law to be registered with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) which regulates and ensures professional standards.  I am also a member or the Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists (RCSLT) and the Association of Speech and Language Therapists in Independent Practice (ASLTIP). In order to remain registered, we are required to continue professional development through courses and additional learning and to undertake regular supervision.
Speech and Language Therapists work in a variety of settings and with different client groups and we use these experiences to develop specialist knowledge in different areas.  If I feel I do not have the knowledge and skills to help you, I will be able to point you in the direction of someone who does!

Where can I find more information to support my child at home?

Click below for my 'further information' page where I have listed a range of resources and information as well as links to useful websites.